Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Family Brawl...Fantasy Style!

So, in the spirit of new adventures, I agreed to join my brother's family fantasy football league (that's right, a fantasy league consisting of ALL family members...yep, we're a bit into sports...or a bit competitive...you decide). Now, I should preface this post by stating that I really know NOTHING about football. Sure, I know there is a quarterback and he throws the ball to someone--check that, sometimes he will HAND the ball to someone (see, I do pay attention!). I might be farther right on the bell curve compared to some other girls, but you probably need to know more than that for something like fantasy football.

Still, I agreed to participate, knowing that I had a wealth of knowledge at my disposal (aka dad...mon pere...padre...pa...el honcho...the big kahuna...you get the picture). So, Sunday night, my sister and I sat with our dad as he proceeded to expound upon his football wisdom. Let's just say, I don't think he knew what to do with us...case in point--a snippet of our football discussion:

Dad: ...then there's the Tight End...
Brenda: what's a Tight End?
Domini: the only tight end I know is a well exercised hiney.
Dad: What???
Brenda: you know, someone with a "tight end" (turns around and smacks behind)
Dad: [laughs] Not even close...

Apparently, I have to draft players to my "team" in a LIVE draft on Thursday. So, if I want to crush my family (which I do) in this proclaimed family brawl (which won't consist of physical scars, just emotional ones), I will have to learn about people I've never heard of before and decide if they can help me in my quest for world (or at least family) domination...so, maybe I better choose players based on more than how well formed their calf muscles are...maybe I'll choose players based on the fierceness of their mascot (for example, a lion would probably beat a raven according to the laws of the jungle...but would a lion beat a cowboy? As far as I know there are no cowboys in the jungle...another discussion for another day...)

1 comment: